- 400 gms cooked salmon (Tinned Pink or Red Salmon can also be used)
- 4 medium sized boiled potatoes, mashed
- 6 tablespoons vegetable oil (groundnut or sunflower are best)
- Thinly sliced onion (half a medium brown onion)
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- Chopped fresh dill
- Salt to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon chilli or cayenne powder (optional)
- 1 small egg
- 2 tablespoons breadcrumbs
Drain all the liquid from the fish. In a bowl, mix the fish and mashed potatoes and set aside.
Heat 4 tablespoons of oil and fry the onions until they are caramelised and golden brown. Remove the onions with a slotted spoon and leave to cool on a plate. In the remaining oil add the turmeric. Fry for a few seconds and then remove the pan from the heat to prevent the turmeric from burning. Add the fish and potato mix to the pan and let the spice thoroughly coat the fish mixture. Return the fish mixture to the bowl and add the remaining ingredients, the caramelised onions, breadcrumbs, egg and chopped dill. The mixture should be firm (add more breadcrumbs if it seems too moist). Shape into little patties 2 inches in diameter.
Add the remaining oil to the pan and heat on medium heat. Fry the patties until they are golden brown.